Equipment Hire & Adaptations

Equipment and Adaptations

Equipment or ‘adaptations’ can be used to improve the quality of life of people with disabilities

Adaptations to your home

Your Occupational Therapist or Social Worker and Housing Authorities will work with you to assess what improvements and adaptations you may need in order to live more independently in your own home. Grants are available to help with the adaptations. Help is also available to all private sector owner-occupiers and tenants. If you live in a council owned home, then you will not be liable to pay for any adaptations that are recommended by the council – for example by a council employed Occupational Therapist (OT).

If you live in a rented home you will need to get the landlord's or housing association's permission before any adaptations are carried out. They may also be willing to contribute towards the cost. If you own your own home then you may be entitled to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

To get help with adaptations contact either your Social Worker or GP in order to ask for a referral to an Occupational Therapist.

For homeowners who are over 60 or with a disability, the Orbitas Handyperson’s Service is offered by Cheshire East council which can help you through the process of getting repairs and adaptations applied to your home. Care and Repair help you by:

  • Offering technical advice and information
  • Helping you find reputable contractors
  • Helping you find ways to pay for the work
  • Offering small repairs around the home
  • Telephone 0300 123 5017 (option 3)



    Adaptive equipment can be obtained to assist with the following:


  • Bathing and toileting
  • Bedroom and living
  • Kitchen and dining
  • Personal care
  • Mobility
  • Home and leisure
  • If you feel you would benefit from some equipment, the first step is to speak to your GP, Occupational therapist or Social Worker as you may be able to obtain it on prescription. If the equipment you want is not available through funded means, you may be able to obtain the equipment from local retailers, on either a purchase or hire basis.

    A selection of retailers can be found below:


  • Ableworld (various locations)
  • Sale of all equipment and hire of wheelchairs, hoists and specialist beds.

    Congleton Branch

    Address: 34 Mill Street, Congleton, Cheshire, CW12 1AD

    Tel: 01260 408161


    Crewe Branch

    Address: Valley Brook Business Centre, Mill Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW2 7DT

    Tel:01270 255725


    Nantwich Branch

             Address: 39 Beam Street, Nantwich, Cheshire, CW5 5NF

        Tel: 01270 626971


  • Helpful Hand
  • Sale and hire of a wide range of equipment.

    Address: 6 Chester Road, Macclesfield, SK11 8DG.

    Tel: 01625 424438



Download file: