Disability Information Bureau and Shopmobility
This privacy notice explains how DIB and Shopmobility will use any personal data they collect from you as a client. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Who we are
Disability Information Bureau (DIB) is a registered charity (No.1124371) and a registered Company Ltd by guarantee in England & Wales (No. 6452443)
We have been operating primarily in Macclesfield and in other areas across Cheshire East since 1993 Our clients and supporters are important to us and we’re committed to keeping your data safe, making it clear what data we collect from you, how we use it, and when we securely dispose of it. We offer many services including;
- Free and confidential information
- Computer courses and information on adaptive technology
- IT and Employment Qualifications
- Employment Support
- Access appraisals to assist with enquiries relating to the Equality Act 2010
- Welfare Rights Service
- Disability/Equality & Equality Training
- Shopmobility Services in Macclesfield
- Wheelchair Loan and RADAR keys
- Volunteering Opportunities
Why do we collect personal information about you?
We collect information about you when you make an enquiry for information and advice, want to access one of our services and when you want to use equipment at Macclesfield Shopmobility.
NB: You have the right to remain anonymous when using our information service, but this might limit the type of support we are able to provide.
We use personal information at Disability Information Bureau to;
- Contact you regarding your case or provide further information relating to your enquiry
- Helps us to ascertain what benefits you might be eligible for
- Helps us to find information and support that is local to you
- Improve the quality of our service
- For certain services it is a contractual requirement, and your data will be shared with funders. We will however make this clear to you and ask for your consent should you wish to use those services.
We use personal information at Shopmobility to;
- Contact you about the service
- Keep you safe if you are using our Shopmobility services
- Alert someone in case of emergency
- Comply with business insurance and equipment specifications.
- Improve the quality of our service
We also collect information when you voluntarily complete customer surveys and provide feedback. We don’t share this information with anyone, and only use it for our own monitoring purposes. We monitor this information so we can improve our services and it sometimes helps us apply for funding for the charity.
How we protect your information
- Confidentiality Policy
- GDPR Policy
- Information Security Policy
- Encrypted email
- Secure filing systems within locked offices in alarmed buildings.
- We outsource our IT systems and its security to a reputable and secure company that is GDPR compliant.
What information do we collect?
The type and quantity of data we collect and use depends on what service you require.
You will be informed of what information is required and you will be asked if you provide your full consent for it to be collected, processed, and stored.
If you are a member or visitor of Macclesfield Shopmobility Services, they hold the following information about you:
- Your name, Date of Birth, Address and Postcode
- Your mobile number, telephone number
- The reason you would like to use the service e.g. mobility impairment, disability or health condition.
- Your weight and equipment you would like to borrow
- If you have any disabilities or health conditions which might affect the safe use of equipment.
If you call our Disability Information Bureau office number for Information and Advice we will only collect the following types of information and if it is relevant to your enquiry;
- Name, Telephone Number, Email Address
- Address and Postcode
- Age, Disability Type/Health Condition,
- What your enquiry was in relation to
- National Insurance Number- *will only be collected if you require benefits advice
If you wish to use any of our other services, we may need to share the above and more information and share this with funders. We will however make this clear to you and ask for your consent should you wish to use those services.
Who has access to your information?
Different staff and volunteers are responsible for different projects within DIB and Shopmobility. Access is restricted to staff in those departments, unless otherwise specified by the Chief Executive Officer. DIB will never share your information with third parties, unless you have given explicit consent for it to be shared.
Some services are funded by external organisations and we have to share you details with them in order to gain funding. We will however make this clear to you and ask for your consent should you wish to use those services.
DIB is fully committed to facilitating the rights of individuals under the GDPR (‘applicants’) to their personal data, while bearing in mind the need to protect other individual’s rights of privacy.
All individuals are able under the GDPR to request to obtain
- Confirmation that their data is being processed
- Access to their personal data and
- Other supplementary information which DIB will make available in the privacy notice
Individuals have this right so that they are aware of and can verify the lawfulness of the processing.
If any request involves providing information relating to another individual (a ‘third party individual’) then DIB reserves the right to not comply with the request unless:
- the third party has consented to the disclosure or
- it is reasonable in all the circumstances to comply with the request without the consent of the third party individual.
Any person who wishes to exercise this right should make the request in writing to the Data Controller using the standard form which is available from Laura Smith CEO and Data Controller email@example.com or by calling 01625 501759